We welcomed our current pastor, Elder Keith S. Goodman Sr. and his family on February 13, 2016. Preacher, musician and civic leader Pastor Keith S. Goodman Sr. is a dedicated servant of Christ and His church. A native of the state of Oklahoma, Goodman was born on November 27, 1972 and was raised in a military family. The son of Ret. MSGT Fred and Mrs. Ivey Goodman and the last of their four children, he earned his B.A. degree from Oakwood College in 1996 and attended the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary at Andrews University from 1996 to 1998.
From 1996 to 1998, Goodman served as an intern at the Straford Memorial Seventh-day Adventist Church under the tutelage of Dr. Charles D. Joseph, Sr. In January 1999, Goodman joined the North Philadelphia Seventh-day Adventist Church as the assistant pastor to Elder William E. Hall, Sr. From December 1999 to January 2006, Goodman served as pastor of the Macedonia Seventh-day Adventist Church in Chester, Pennsylvania. In 2005, he also ran for a seat on the Chester City Council. In February 2006, he was called again to serve the North Philadelphia Seventh-day Adventist Church, this time as the senior pastor.
Goodman has a passion for social justice issues and for the people of the community beyond the walls of the church. While serving in Chester, he was instrumental in either developing or participating in the following:
- AMACHI – A mentoring program for children of incarcerated parents founded and directed by former Philadelphia Mayor, W. Wilson Goode. As Chester’s program founder and first coordinator, the program grew to include 11 participating churches under Goodman’s leadership.
- Sister-to-Sister – A two-week summer enrichment program for Chester girls ages eight to thirteen. In the program’s five-year history over 100 young ladies were served.
- Living Waters Broadcast (WPWA Praise 1590) – A radio ministry providing faith-based programming to the city of Chester and Delaware County. As speaker-director of the Living Waters Broadcast, Goodman was heard every Sunday morning at 11am giving inspirational messages of hope to residents across Chester and beyond.
- ActionPA.org – A Pennsylvania-based research, organizing and networking center for the grassroots environmental justice movement. As a local consultant, Goodman opened the doors of his church for environmental community meetings and took an active role in local environmental justice issues.
- 2004 Chester Clergy Voter Drive – A faith-based voter registration effort involving over 25 Chester churches. Goodman initiated this effort with the help of local NAACP leaders.
- Concerned Clergy of Chester – A small bipartisan, issue-oriented group of City clergy representing 5 community churches who met to address concerns in the City of Chester.
- NAACP – Member, Chester Branch
Elder Goodman is an insightful, engaging preacher often bringing a fresh understanding to the familiar passages of Scripture and of the teachings of the church. He is also an accomplished musician and previously served as coordinator of music for the Allegheny East Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. Additionally, he serves as secretary of the Delaware Valley Ministerium.
His is married to Evelyn Goodman, who is herself a gifted singer and anointed preacher of righteousness. They have two young sons, Keith Spencer Jr and Charles Winston and one daughter Kaelyn Elizabeth.